I found an old portrait on some stock photo sites. All I can find is this was taken around 1917. I used it to practice my photoshop skills. The general procedure I followed was:
- Import into photoshop and resize to 4500 pixels wide
- Do a very hard noise reduction in Topaz Denoise to remove the banding and artifacts
- I then added back some skin texture with an add noise layer
- I colorized the picture using multiple color layers – one layer for each component
- I combined all the visible layers into a new layer
- I used Topaz Clarity to sharpen the merged layers
Not perfect – still some things I could do but I tried not to over do it – still should look vintage.
Below is the progression of retouching from original picture to the final portrait.